Like everyone else, we've thoroughly enjoyed the few days of sunshine we've had this past week. Before the sun hit, we went to OMSI for the first time with the kiddos and had a great family day. I don't think they were quite old enough to really enoy the whole museum, but they loved the reptile exhibit and the toddler room where they were able to do a fun art project and play in the water. Over the weekend we were able to enjoy the sun and our backyard. I'm amazed at how happy my kids are when they can spend their days playing in the sand box and laying on the hammock. Seriously, I think we need to move somewhere warm year round!

Annie and Molly at DQ



Saturday night I finally bit the bullet and decided to ride along with Josh for the night. Surprisingly, I had a great time and enjoyed watching him do his job and seeing a whole different side of life. After riding, I am so thankful my husband works for a department that works hard to be one of the best . . . and that they employ enough officers to provide excellent backup for one another! I am amazed at all of the various situations that occur in just one shift - in just 1o hours we responded to a domestic disturbance, looked for an armed robbery suspect, set up a perimeter, helped serve a warrant, transferred a drunk disorderly to the jail, helped on a traffic stop, went to a noise complaint, took a hit and run report, and cited a driver for running a red light. We went flying from one call to the next from 8pm until about 3am when it finally slowed down and he was able to catch up on some reports. I can see why he enjoys it so much because you never know what you are going to come into contact with. One minute we would be driving code, swerving in and out of lanes trying not to hit other drivers, and then the next minute we would slow to traffic speed because the priority of the call had changed.
On a more serious note, I was reminded again at how blessed I am to live a safe and content life with the knowledge and understanding that God meets my needs and is in control of my life. Two of the calls that night really touched me. On one call, children were involved and my heart was aching for them and the childhood they are bound to miss out on because of a selfish mother. On the other, I watched as a drunk, middle aged man was arrested for trespassing. Of course, when he was dealing with Josh and the other officers, he was yelling and cussing them out (I was cracking up all the way to the jail listening to him threaten Josh). However, when they placed him in the back of the car, I looked into his eyes I saw the disappointment, sorrow, and hopelessness. Is he a habitual drunk who gives my husband and colleagues trouble on a regular basis . . . yes he is. But does he deserve to know that God never fails us, always forgives us, and never stops loving us? Yes, and I pray that he is able to find the hope found in Christ Jesus (I just didn't think it was an effective time to witness since I could smell the alcohol from a mile away)!
So . . . that's all in a nutshell. The girls and I are off to Seattle this weekend with my friend, and Johs is leaving to go hunting in the morning with the guys he works with. Sounds like another crazy busy week ahead!!

5 comments:
I live near Seattle you know...
I know . . . and I thought of that too. Where are you at? We are headed to Woodinville to stay with my friend's auntie.
We are north of Everett...but I would love to meet you for lunch or whatever...but I don't want to take away from your time with your other friends..
Can I just say.......your girls are so stinkin' cute!!!!!!!!
My brother-in-law is a police officer too. When I hear some of his stories it makes me sad. And yet thankful for the men and women who serve us in this way. It's a job I couldn't do.
Post a Comment