Friday, October 17, 2008

Last Weekend

Well, since the weekend is just about here, I should get my post on last weekend up and running. We came home from vacation Friday night, only to see Josh for about 20 minutes before he headed to work. I was so exhausted I climbed into bed and fell asleep. About an hour later I woke up to Josh standing in the doorway with flowers (I don't think he felt good knowing that someone could actually enter our home in the middle of the night and I would be oblivious). They were overstaffed at work and let him have the night off. Yay!

On Saturday one of his cop friends called and offered us Duck tickets and of course Josh jumped at the chance to watch his beloved team play. He took me (usually it would be his dad), and we dropped the kiddos off at his parent's and headed to Eugene. The game was fun. The Ducks weren't playing great, but they played well enough to beat UCLA and there was a big fight in the stands when one of the UCLA players got hurt so it was fun to watch. =) I'm not a huge football fan, but we had the best time together.

On Sunday we thankfully made it to church and then hit Costco and Winco on the way home to stock our empty cupboards. I was cracking up in church when my number was displayed to pick Annie up in the middle of service. They informed me that she had told them "I'm DONE"!! To be honest, since I'd had only a few hours of sleep the night before, I felt the same way. It was a good service . . . just extra long. We snuggled outside and listened to the rest of church and visited with a friend.

Monday evening we were able to head to my parent's house to welcome 1.5 tons of grapes for the wine they will be making. My little brother's best friend John has a degree in viticulture from OSU and he is going in business with my dad making wine. This is the first year and you have to press the grapes soon after they are picked. They were delivered at 9pm from Ashland and the guys finished the process at 12:30am. Whew! I didn't help because I was too cold and didn't want purple fingers, but it was really cool to see the process. John has spent the last few days babysitting the grapes as they begin the fermentation process, and it will be really fun to watch this dream of theirs unfold.


On another wine note, how do you think a wine shop would fare in downtown Salem?? It was John's idea, but I started bugging him about it this last week at work and now can't get the idea out of my head. The entrepreneur side of me would love to have a retail space and this is way better than my last idea of cupcake sales. =) Currently there is only one shop and it's pretty insignificant. I think everyone around here buys wine from Roth's or Costco - neither of whom offer any advice. Any input would be appreciated!

Happy Friday!


Goofy self portrait at the game!


One container of grapes

This is the most excited I've ever seen John!

Sorting the leaves and BUGS out of the grapes!

The grape crushing machine (not sure of it's real name). It takes the vines off the grapes.

The grapes ready for fermentation

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like fun! I think Downtown Salem TOTALLY needs a wine shop. What thriving downtown doesn't need a good one???

Josh (my hubby) has little science experiments all over the house fermenting. He made a very good blackberry wine last year and has lots of others in store for this year. Not a business though!

Best of luck!

Eyes_Wide_Open said...

I say that every downtown needs a wine shop.

Looks like such fun. I keep wanting to go to the Willamette Valley Vineyards grape stomp they have yearly.

I always miss it.