Thursday, September 18, 2008

Life with a boy-crazy pre-schooler, potty training baby, and a husband who works nights

They're driving me nuts . . . all of them!

My dear, sweet little Sydney Rae has developed into a boy-crazy almost four year old. She comes out of her classroom each day telling me all about "B" and how much she loves him. I still have hope that when she uses the L word, it means great friend, but I'm not so sure. To make matters worse (in my opinion anyway), this is the kid whose dad was freaking out about snacks at the parent night. Seriously, he asked the teacher about 20 questions on exactly what he should bring in for his snack week. Come on, it's snacks for preschoolers - half of them probably still eat dirt! I just keep reminding her that she's too little to have a boyfriend and get married, and that she needs to be friends with ALL the kids, not just "B". Next week I'm going in to help them make applesauce so I'll be able to check the whole situation out a little more. I thought I had at least two more years before we hit this stage!

Annie has decided at the age of 17 months, that she is ready to be potty trained. Every time she goes potty, she comes running out yelling "sit on the potty real quick mommy". Of course, by the time we get to the little potty and pull off her diaper, the deed has been done. Since Syd was 2 1/2 before she was really potty trained, I'm not really sure what to do here.

As if I couldn't have any more issues, Josh finally started his graveyard shift last week. He is finally solo and on his own, yay! The downside is that he works four nights a week, leaving the girls and I alone at night. While I don't freak out anymore when I'm alone, I am not anywhere close to sleeping soundly. The girls are the same way which makes for some long nights because we are all restless. I don't know how people manage to maintain sanity living like this! We have to tiptoe around all day and I don't get to shower until late afternoon when Josh wakes up. The saving grace should be that he has three day weekends, but he's had to stay home with the kiddos while I work on his days off and also has court some mornings. Last night started week two of his schedule and I am really praying that it goes more smoothly than the first week. I think I probably just need an attitude adjustment.

Thank God for vacation which is only a week away! I think I need it this year.


My bed on a typical night Josh is at work!

2 comments:

Beth said...

What craziness! That IS a lot to adjust to!

That's hilarious about Syd! I'm anxious to hear what you discover on your visit! Driving home from the Ducks Fan Day, Luke informed us that he was going to marry "one of those cheerleaders" cause they are "cute". I didn't expect it this early on either!

Did your childcare for the girls work out?

Graveyard must be so difficult! Hopefully each week will get easier and easier.

I love the picture of the sleeping beauties!

Unknown said...

WHew! Sorry about the lovesick daughter. Makes me happy to have my boys who haven't even yet discovered that girls are much different. At least other people can get much amusement out of your daughter stories...even if they are driving you nuts! :)

Hooray for the potty training! On the downside of boys, they take longer to train. Max is just now getting the hang of it!