The girls, Sydney especially, have been fighting some mysterious illness the past week. It started with an upset stomach, moved to a sore throat and the runs, and most importantly has seriously hindered their emotional stability. It's like living with myself when I am pregnant - Sydney has cried over more things in the past week that I can count and there is constant fighting between the two girls when they would normally just play semi-nicely together. To make matters worse, I've been feeling close to the same so I haven't been a saint to live with either. Poor, poor Josh.
After making and breaking a few appointments, I finally gave in today and took Syd to the doctor. A long wait and a very traumatic strep throat swab later, we were informed that she is not plagued with strep or an ear infection, and children's motrin will have to suffice. I really had my fingers crossed for some delicious pink bubble gum medicine that would magically end these long and tedious days. No such luck. We left feeling jipped by our $100 deductible and had to go to Target to raise our spirits (which it did a marvelous job - I found the perfect rug for my red dishwasher - picture to come when I'm not so lazy).
Generally speaking, I am not a druggy sort of mom. I don't rush my kiddos to the doctor, I listen to my doctor and let them work the ear infections out on their own, and even tylenol is a rare commodity in our home. My motto is "suck it up buttercup." Josh loves this about me, I'm sure. =) After coming home defeated, my friend called to update me on the status of her own trip to the doctor with her kids. They have had basically the same ailments, but alas, their doctor gave them those coveted antibiotics and they are well on their way to good health while we continue to live up to my motto.
So the question of the day . . . is it better to let my kids suffer through their ailments on their own or should I run like the wind to my own Dr. Druggy???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Sorry you guys are sick!
That's a tough call. We are no stranger to antibiotics because of chronic ear infections!
You're probably thinking the end is in sight, right? Hope you get some relief real soon!!!
Poor poor mommy. I really mean that. I think the most miserable thing about being a mom is when I am sick. And then if the kids are sick too...Ugh.
I have majorly changed on the topic of medicine. I remember my Dr. in Hungary telling me not to medicate a fever under 105 and I pretty much just rolled my eyes. Well, the other day Ollie had one of 103 and I thought..."that's good, buddy...just let that fever fight it." (however, we had to take him into the emergency room for partial seizures. Scary!)
Just remember...it's okay not to give them anything....but by golly, sanity is NOT overrated in the midst of toddler sickness. Tylenol won't hurt them that much.
GOod luck!
I say take Tylenol as needed... I am a little nervous about the over use of antibiotics and other than Layne having surgery, both my kids have never taken the stuff. Yes there were times that I called my Dr begging for the stuff, but she said no lets wait it out a few days, so we do and I never end up needing it. But I also think that if it is needed by all means chug it down!!!
Hope those little ones are getting better...sick kids are rough and even worse when mama is sick!!!
My email address is jeffncoraly@yahoo.com.
I love reading your blog. You have to go back to school and become an English teacher. You were born to do that. I am so proud of you and love reading about your awesome life...
Post a Comment